Keep in Touch
Mission, Vision, Values
The mission of the College Libraries is to support learning for the college community through information resources and services.
We envision that, in our near future:
- The college community recognizes the College Libraries as vibrant, innovative, and essential to achieving the mission of the College – providing physical and virtual environments that support college programs, enhance learning opportunities for students, foster intellectual engagement, and contribute to a sense of community.
- Information literacy learning outcomes are integrated into every academic department, and teaching faculty actively encourage their students to use library resources and services and to draw on the expertise of library faculty.
- Library faculty and staff are respected and sought out for their leadership, knowledge, competence, professionalism, creativity, helpfulness and the contribution they make to student learning.
- Collaborations between the College Libraries and other organizations are innovative, numerous, and visible;
- SUNY Potsdam graduates are recognized as knowledgeable, effective and ethical users of information in their professional, civic, and personal lives.
- A well-established base of donors who value the special contribution of the Libraries to the College provides support for new initiatives and special resources.
As information professionals, we value and are committed to:
- Learning: creating an environment that supports both intellectual curiosity and innovative thinking, and that contributes to professional and personal growth for all members of the college community.
- Service: providing efficient, timely, accurate, and informed service in a professional manner that is respectful of and responsive to the needs of our patrons and our colleagues.
- Quality resources: supporting access to a broad spectrum of shared resources that meet the learning and information needs of the college community.
- Community: building collaborative and collegial relationships within the College Libraries, with all areas of the college community, and with our external partners in support of our mission.
- Responsiveness: welcoming diverse ideas and perspectives, responding with flexibility to a changing environment, and experimenting with structures and technologies that offer new opportunities.